What you'll learn in this candle making class:
Learn the power and skills to create a healthy, fragrant, natural candle you can feel really good about burning in your home.
The class is approximately 1.5 hours and organized into 2 parts, theory and practice.
Part I includes the following topics:
- Why making natural candles are better for your health and the environment.
- The variety of ingredients needed to make a natural candle, how to select and where to source them.
- The equipment required to make your own candles, a tutorial on how to use it safely and effectively, as well as where you can purchase it.
- A unique recipe to make scented natural candles.
- The testing guidelines, advice & legal requirements to sell your own candles.
Part II of the class will be the actual practice of making candles, the most fun part!
We will work together to create 2 types of candles:
- Lotion candle
- when burned, the melted wax can actually be used as a moisturizing agent on your skin, making it ideal for that relaxing spa-like atmosphere you’re going for in your home.
- Standard natural scented candle
- Utilizing 100% soy or coconut wax with pure oil fragrance, we will make candles you can be proud to burn in any room of the house.
You will leave the class with:
- An extensive knowledge about candles and the natural ingredients required to make them yourself
- 2 x natural scented candles (standard & lotion) that you created yourself
- Hand Sanitizer will be available to all students upon entry and on the workshop table
- Temperature checks for all before class start
- Deep cleaning of all surfaces, equipment, tools
- Frequent hand washing by teacher
- Teacher and students must always wear masks
- Classes by reservation only, no walk-ins until further notice
- Classes are limited in order to social distance students
Long Island City, Queens
WeWork 3537 36th St
Btwn 35th & 36th Avenues
Long Island City, New York 11106
I enjoyed this class so much. Melanie was exceptional in her explanation of how to make scented candles. She also was so aware of making candles that were pure and using the best types of wax and fragrance oils. She shared her resources and also a step by step explanation so you can make your own. Melanie was very personable and very knowledgeable. I highly recommend her class to anyone who wants to learn how to make these very special candles. I also bought the kit to get started from her company Artisane and I also recommend purchasing that from her too.
Melanie is a great instructor, and made the class so much fun! Great ambiance, thorough explanation of the supplies and process, and the wine/cheese was a great plus. :) My only caveat, specifically for those looking to learn about incorporating essential oils into candles -- know that the demonstration part of the class is centered around pthalate-free fragrance oils, not essential oils. Melanie dives into the challenges of working with essential oils in candle-making, and the fragrance used in class is the one ingredient that actually isn't 100% natural. This might not matter to most people, but might to those that are on the purist end of the spectrum.
Melanie was very approachable and fun. I have been making my own candles for quite some time now (self taught) and decided to take this class in order to gain some new tips and insight, Melanie was able to answer my questions and really inspired me moving forward. The class is well organized and the resources and information Melanie shares are invaluable , I highly recommend anyone interested in candle making to take her class.
From start to finish, this was an absolutely amazing experience. Melanie is super friendly and it is evident that she has a passion, not only for making candles, but for teaching others the craft. Her enthusiasm is contagious, and she has an amazing ability of sharing her knowledge in a way that it easy for anyone to understand. She provided us with an information packet, which she went through with us during each step of the process. We made two candles, one being a lotion candle (which I’d never even heard of, but let me tell you it is SO cool!). Melanie was thorough in discussing all of the tools you need to get started, and provided information as to where you can purchase everything. She also went into depth as to why natural candles are the best option and explained the dangers of items such as paraffin and phalates. This course was great for those just looking for a hobby, but also for people who would like to go into business. There’s so many aspects of starting a business and Melanie really provided vital information about how to start one. She’s truly a beautiful soul who made each of us feel inspired, motivated, and confident. If she ever hosts another class, I’ll be the first one to sign up.
Small space with a small group which made the class more personal. Melanie greeted me warmly and made me feel right at home. She had donuts and coffee waiting for us as well which was nice of her. The class started on time but we were waiting for another girl to join. Melanie was so understanding of this and made no big deal to go back over the material the person had missed. I am currently making candles myself so I wanted to learn from a pro to make sure I was on the right track. I have almost every piece of material that she makes candles with at home and a good amount of info I was aware of so I felt confident in my current work. I found her very knowledgeable in a lot of areas. Her pouring technique is amazing and I am going to give it a try at home. If this works as well as it did with the ones we made, I’m on the right path to success. She gave me some great ideas for scents and she provided a ton of sites to get more supplies. I’d take her class again